Whitetail Deer Hunting Checklist
There’s a chill in the air. The days are shorter, and darkness seems to be taking over. You gather all your gear and are ready for the hunt. After all, it’s whitetail deer hunting season in Texas. That means, if you’re going hunting, you need to be prepared for what’s to come before, during, and after the hunt. Follow our checklist so you can be totally prepared and not stressed over any missing supplies.
In advance of your excursion, here is a deer hunting checklist to use before you get started:
- Hunting license/registration/tags: So you stay on the right side of the law, make sure you have a valid Texas hunting license and other relevant documents with you at all times.
- Certification: This shows you passed a safety class; keep proof handy if your hunting license doesn’t state it.
- Land owner’s permission: Fortunately, you are hunting at Montgomery Properties Ranch and already have our permission to hunt big game.
- Clean and test your firearm: If your gun doesn’t work when you have the perfect target, the hours of waiting will all be in vain. Montgomery Properties Ranch provides our hunting guests access to our rifle and archery range, where you can practice and test your gear to ensure success.
- Hunting gear: Get your gun, bow, arrows, bow release, and ammunition together so you’re fully ready for the hunt.
Also make sure you:
- Know all the Texas hunting regulations.
- Fully charge your batteries—cell phone, radio, etc.
- Have your scent reduction wash.
- Gather clothing and camouflage.
- Prepare for the weather—raingear, warm clothes, etc.
Be Ready During the Hunt
Some of the most essential and useful supplies to have while whitetail hunting include:
- Scent control jacket
- Branch clippers
- Warm clothing
- Glow sticks
- Wand warmers
- Deer calls and scents
You should also have a whistle handy, which is useful if you get injured and it’s hard to call for help. Keep it attached where you can reach it. It’s also a good idea to have a first aid kit handy and a hunting backpack. At Montgomery Properties Ranch all of our hunts are guided by experts that provide and carry all the safety material you’ll need. We take all safety precautions for our hunters seriously, however it’s always important to be prepared.
Also, don’t forget:
- Ammunition—rounds, arrows, etc.
- Mobile phone
- Bug spray
rangefinder helps when you use binoculars. It helps to judge distances without guessing, especially when using a bow and arrow. One miscalculated shot can give away your cover and spoil your hunting experience. You may only get one shot, so it’s always important to make it count.
Your work just begins after you get that perfect shot. Gloves help keep you clean when you’re dressing the deer. At Montgomery Properties Ranch, we offer complete trophy care. We provide field dressing and the option to have your game frozen before transporting. This way, trophy whitetail hunts leave you with something to take home and tasty meat to put on the table.
Ready to go hunting? Montgomery Properties Ranch offers prime hunting ground, lodging and accommodations, packing services, and so much more. Contact us today at 817-925-2234 and bring along your whitetail deer hunting checklist so you are as prepared for anything as possible.